I have to admit, I was never a fan of radishes. But when exploring different vegetables for a low carb diet I decided to give them a try. Turns out they are a surprisingly delicious low carb substitute. Roasting them provides a beautiful caramel flavor that calms the natural peppery taste and brings out their sweetness. Simply toss in olive oil, with garlic and oregano and roast until their are golden brown. Eat them on their own or as a side dish in lieu of your typical roasted potatoes. Even the pickiest eaters may not even realize they’re eating radishes.
For those fellow radish skeptics, you probably think I have lost my mind. But trust me, this is worth a try. You will not be disappointed.
- 1 lb radishes trimmed and halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves cut into slivers
- 1/2 shallot cut thinly
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a bowl, combine the radishes and olive oil. Spread the radishes out onto a large edged baking sheet, or baking dish. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, tossing the radishes about half way through. At 20 minutes toss again and add the garlic, shallot and oregano. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve warm as a favorite low carb side dish.