In honor of National Tequila Day I decided to have fun with this Tequila Lime Cookie recipe. It’s like a margarita and a cookie decided to have a party, and the result was deliciousness.
I opted for a 50/50 all-purpose flour and cake flour to give them a crumbly crunchy texture on the outside while still being chewy and fluffy on the inside. Cake flour has less protein than your average all-purpose flour so it gives cookies a softer, more delicate feel.
The addition of the tequila, orange liquor and lime zest makes this cookie pop with freshness. Still surprisingly sweet, the tequila glaze creates a perfect balance.
These cookies do not spread excessively like your normal cookie, so after you place your rolled dough ball on the baking sheet, use your 1 cup measuring cup to smash the cookie down. It will give it these beautiful cracks on the edges for such a fun crunchy cookie texture.
Tequila Lime Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose four
- 1 ¾ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tequila
- juice of 1 lime about 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon orange Liquor
- zest of 1 lime
- additional lime zest for garnish
- ½ cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons clear tequila
- 1 lime zested
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined.
- In the large bowl using a stand or hand mixer mixer, cream the butter and sugar on high speed.
- Add egg, tequila, lime juice, orange liquor and lime zest and beat until combined.
- Continue on low speed and add the flour slowly until just combined.
- Portion out rolled balls of dough using a medium cookie scoop onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until they are set. Then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. While the cookies are cooling, combine the powdered sugar, tequila and lime zest in a medium bowl to make the glaze. After the cookies are cooled dip the tops into the glaze and then sprinkle with the additional lime zest.