Mexican Migas is a traditional breakfast dish consisting of fried corn tortillas pieces cooked together with scrambled eggs. Here in Texas we do it a little different by including onions, peppers, tomatoes and cheese.
The fried tortilla pieces give the scrambled eggs a fun crunchy texture, while the peppers, onions and tomatoes burst with flavor. It is the perfect way to use up any leftover tortilla chips.
This recipe provides a little bit of spice, but don’t be afraid to add more jalapeno if you love heat. You could even punch it up with some serrano peppers as well if you are brave enough.
We traditionally serve it with a side of refried beans and fresh homemade tortillas. I love to take a tortilla with a little bit of the beans topped with the migas. A hearty flavorful breakfast that you will want to have every day of the week.
- 3 cups of tortilla chips broken into 1 inch pieces
- 1 whole jalapeno seeds removed, diced
- 42 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 whole green bell pepper chopped
- 1 whole medium onion chopped
- 12 whole Large Eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar and jack cheese blend
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and whole milk. Salt and pepper to taste and then set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the olive oil with the butter. Add onions and bell peppers and cook until they are soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in diced jalapenos and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Stir gently to cook with the peppers. Once the eggs start to take form, add the tortilla pieces, stirring gently to combine. Top with the grated cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve with fresh tortillas and refried beans.