The layers of flavors on this pizza make it a delightful step up to your normal pizza night. The nutty butternut squash is enhanced by the sweet caramelized onions then elevated by the tangy earthy blue cheese.
The thing I adore about this dish is how sophisticated and complicated it appears, but really and truly there are so many tricks to making this easy for any night of the week.
Start off by using precut butternut squash, which is a huge time and hassle saver and absolutely worth it. After a quick toss in olive oil and salt/pepper, you are ready to roast.
Another quick tip is using premade pizza crust. With so many varieties to choose from you can surely find one that will be a perfect vehicle for your delicious toppings.
The caramelized onions are best done slow on low, so they take a little time. There is a perfect line of caramelization before they begin to burn. So stir often and take your time.
All in all, an easy meal or starter that everyone will enjoy.
- 3 cups fresh butternut squash cut into cubes
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 prepared pizza crust
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss butternut squash with 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, or until golden and tender. Set butternut squash aside for now.
- In a large saucepan heat 1 tbsp. olive oil and add your sliced onions. Slowly sauté onions, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until soft and caramelized.
- Take your prepared pizza crust and lightly brush it with olive oil. Then top with your mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup of your blue cheese crumbles. Add your caramelized onion and butternut squash to the pizza and sprinkle with the remaining blue cheese.
- Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted and started to turn golden brown.
- Remove and slice for serving.